The St. Mary’s Church

Romantic up to the organ

Hof’s catholic main church St. Mary’s is built according to the ideals of the neo-Gothic style.

When the story of the great parish – which was mentioned in written form for the first time 1214 – was ended by the Reformation in 1529 and Hof and its surrounding areas became Protestant, the catholic life in the region ceased to exist for almost 250 years.

This only changed in 1810 when Hof and the margravate Bayreuth joined Bavaria and Catholics started to move back. Laborers from Bohemia and the Franconian Forest as well as Bavarian civil servants also came to Hof.

From that moment on the number of Catholic citizens increased steadily. For them the St. Mary’s Church was built in 1864 in the neo-Gothic style according to plans of the dome builder Denzinger from Regensburg. St. Mary’s Church has a special charm as it was allowed to keep its well-rounded artistic form. Only few churches were able to remain this complete regarding their outer appearance as well as their inner arrangement up to the organ.

In 1885 the then renowned organ builder Steinmeyer from Oettingen was ordered to build an organ which today belongs to the few unique historic organ instruments of the Romantic period.

On one column on the left side of the church is the bust of the Berlin dean Bernhard Lichtenberg, who was beatified by Pope John Paul II in 1996. The parish of St. Mary’s feels a strong attachment to this brave contemporary witness who died in Hof en route to Dachau almost every bit as much as to the Father Rupert Mayer from Munich whose relics are held in the altar.

www.kirche-st-marien-hof.de

Contact us

St. Marienkirche
Lorenzstr. 1
95028 Hof

<p>Telefon </p>  +49 9281 2125
Telefax  +49 9281 160009
 st-marien-hof@erzbistum-bamberg.de
Icon Internet  http://www.kirche-st-marien-hof.de/

Entry Times

Daily from 10.00 to 18.00

Theresienstein

View from the city hall tower


The view from the city hall tower is worth-while the climb of the 152 steps. At a height of 32 m one has a wonderful view of the city.

The tower is accessible in the summer months during the opening hours of the tourist information. There you can also get the key.