The coat of arms is red and has two silver towers with pitched roofs on it; in front at their bases is a black shield – on it a golden lion with a red crown on its head. The defense towers are a symbol for the fortified town. The shield with the lion on it is the coat of arms of the reeves of Weida, the town lords before 1373.
Municipal Coat of Arms
Heraldic description of the coat of arms
As you can imagine this coat of arms was not suitable to be used as a seal in all its complexity. There were a couple of suggestions to change it in 1929, 1932 and 1950. When the town flag in yellow and black was introduced in 1954, the adjustment of the coat of arms was aimed at, too. The oldest drafts were strongly considered: the towers were portrayed according to the style in the Elbe and Saale area which includes squared stones; the two savages und the angel were omitted as they had been added in a later version. At the same time, the coat of arms got the correct heraldic embedding in the shield.