A lively insight into history
Do you know who your ancestors were and where they came from? What were their professions? Why is there a Wörthstraße or Bismarckstraße or Ludwigstraße in Hof? Why is Hof a predominantly Protestant town? How long has Hof been part of Bavaria? What do you tell your guests when they ask you about the history of your hometown? The answers to such questions are to be found in Hof’s city archive.
Here you can peruse the following documents:
- a specialized Context.Scope.Library on local history with about 5,000 volumes as well as an array of local history and natural history magazines
- the former council Context.Scope.Library with almost 2,300 valuable books from the 15th to the 18th century. Books can be researched in the Bavarian union catalog.
- the newspapers published in Hof since 1783
- a collection of newspaper cuttings and curricula vitae
- original documents from the Middle Ages and early modern period
- town council records since the 17th century
- the estate of individuals, firms and associations
- minutes of council and committee meetings since 1818
- yearly budgets and bills of the town of Hof and its various trusts since the 16th century
- registry office files since 1876
- comprehensive photo archives
- maps, plans, posters and pamphlets
- numerous other collections (e.g. tapes, films, seals)
Use of the archives is free of charge, however there are charges for answering written enquiries concerning family research and for certain services such as providing photocopies or photo-reproductions.
Associations, firms and private individuals can get advice on organizing, indexing and storing their old documents. There is also the possibility of storage on the premises of the municipal archives. The staff of the Hof municipal archives will gladly assist you with any questions you have about the proper keeping of valuable historical documents.
The municipal archives work in close cooperation with the local history association Nordoberfränkischen Verein für Natur-, Geschichts- und Landeskunde e.V.
Network homeland research
In cooperation with the northern Upper Franconian association, the city archive offers another service. Further information here.
- Guided tours of the archives:
Tours can be arranged for small parties if we are given prior notification in time.
- Newspaper copies:
For anniversaries, birthdays and similar occasions DIN A3 copies can be made of the microfilmed daily papers from Hof and the region. The charge is € 5 per page. A list of the available newspapers is here.
- Copies of maps, plans and cityscapes:
The city archive has scanned a small selection of old geographical maps, city maps and cityscapes for your convenience. You can acquire photo prints of those scans. See more information here.
- Photo prints of old pictures:
The Hof city archive has taken over the glass negatives of Foto Rudolph in Hof. Those are about 60,000 black and white negatives of different formats from 1901 to 1951. For 15€, prints in the formats up to 13 x 18 cm can be fabricated. The Findbuch FG gives a first impression.